Monday

Different forms of infertility

So, I just got an email from a pregnant friend of mine. I'm very happy for them. Really. I think I have enough distance from this whole thing to be happy for someone without getting that pang of want. The pang, I think, is a little more muted now.

My friend is struggling though...she is constantly battling her bad health and chronic illnesses which have landed her in the hospital and on steroids. She's struggling...but amazingly funny about it! I think that's how we actor/improvisers deal with heartache and fear...

"Just have to remember to keep my now 2 chins up!"

I'm quite sure she and her husband are afraid and dealing with it with humor and laughter to the world but privately...well, knowing them they are dealing with it with humor and laughter and perhaps a few tears.

But this makes me think that there is more than one kind of infertility. She believes that this will be the only bio child that they will have since she's been so sick for the whole pregnancy and can't risk it again. Sort of like secondary infertility I suppose. So, we think of something supportive to say without sounding like an idiot or a boor. Avoiding the "at least you have one child. be happy with what you have" kind of statements. Sigh.

We just don't know what really goes on in the lives of others...

Well, cheers for now. Find the funny in whatever your struggle is!

Oh, and I think I'm going to start a quiz! Winners will receive either free or discounted tickets to the show! And if you don't live in Chicago, or wherever it may tour, then feel free to give it to someone you know!

Cheers!

1 comment: