Wednesday

Last night I went to a women in film event as a guest of AFTRA/SAG and I have to say it was inspiring to see a lot of strong, fabulous women in my industry or associated with my industry talking about the industry...the film industry that is.

Nora Dunn was an awardee, Donna La Pietra and Diane Jackson were also awardees and it was great seeing their work and being more entertained than the typical corporate event.

Then, this morning I saw a reference to those struggling with infertility as "infertiles". I have to object to that label. We are so much more than our infertility or illnesses, or diseases or disorders. We are women who have myriad interests, desires, hopes, abilities... I often tell my relative who has schizophrenia that he isn't schizophrenic...he *has* schizophrenia. He is so much more than his mental illness...he's kind, compassionate, funny, brilliant and so much more.

Sometimes we just don't move beyond the labels of "moo" or "wannabe moo" or "infertiles". They keep us mired in what the label represents as opposed to what we really are which can be stressful in itself. I'm not saying it's easy to move beyond the labels but I do believe it's necessary to get to the core of ourselves so we can move beyond the frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment